The Fall Skillbuilders series will begin on Thursday, September 17 at 10:00 at the Smith Center of Brandon Woods at Alvamar, 4730 Brandon Woods Terrace. The series will continue through November 19th.
Skillbuilders is a series of programs for anyone experiencing significant life changes. Those who have lost a loved one by death, who are making adjustments to illness or who are adapting to being a single person, often find that grief is not the only thing that must be faced. Common daily occurrences take on a different meaning and cause unexpected anxiety. Why is it so hard to make decisions that seemed easy before the changes? Who do I ask or how do I know?
In Skillbuilders, attendees will find information that will assist in making decisions concerning legal and financial issues as well as personal activities such as adapting to special occasions and other emotional concerns. Practical information on car care and exercise are also provided. There will be cooking-for-one demonstration plus a program on how pharmacists can help you in keeping well. Plus much more. The programs are led by local professionals but it is the discussion of the participants that provides confidence to each other.
Attend all of the programs or only those topics that are of interest. No registration is required and all programs are free.
- September 17 Adjusting to Change #1: Grief & Transitions Donna Flory, MSN retired
- September 24 Estate Planning Cheryl Dention, attorney
- October 1 Car Care 101 Richard Haig, Westside 66 & Carwash
- October 8 Talk With Your Pharmacist Debbie Mishler, Brandon Woods Pharmacy
- October 15 The Value of Exercise Charlotte Robertson, Brandon Woods Therapy Services
- October 22 Who Gets the Pie Plate? Distributing your estate Jane Baker, Brandon Woods
- October 29 Financial Planning Barbara Braa, Central Bank of the Midwest
- November 5 Who Am I Now? Karen Roberts, DNP-BC
- November 12 Cooking for 1 or 2 Susan Johnson, Douglas County Extension Office
- November 19 Adjusting to Change #2: Holidays & Special Occasions Paul Reed, VNA and Pattie Johnston, LPL
Transportation is available by calling the Douglas County Senior Services, 785-865-6925.
Skillbuilders meets 10:00-11:30am each Thursday from September 17 through November 19 at the Smith Center at Brandon Woods at Alvamar, 4730 Brandon Woods Terrace.
For more information about Skillbuilders or any specific program, please call Pattie Johnston at the Library,843-3833 extension 115.
Skillbuilders is sponsored by Outreach Services of the Library, Douglas County Senior Services, Visiting Nurses Association and Brandon Woods at Alvamar.