Posted On: Oct 1, 2014 In: Featured
Our new catalog is now live! You can try it here. Some of our favorite features include:
- Patrons create a username (won’t have to type your barcode every time you want to place a hold!)
- Ability to create book lists for yourself or to share, and see other people’s suggestions (great vacation reads, mysteries for middle grades, Matilda’s epic reading list, and more)
- Can rate and review titles you like (or dislike!)
- Add books to your shelves: “read,” “in progress,” or “for later”
- See great staff picks
- Better search capabilities (want to find new music? Type “new music”)
- We now have a mobile app!
- Plus all of the previous features of placing holds, renewing books, paying fines online, and more.
You can now download our mobile app for iPhones and Android devices. iPhone = appsto.re/us/HWlw0.i Android = goo.gl/mFOHn8
We’d love to hear what you think of the new catalog or if you have any questions!
Posted On: Aug 28, 2014 In: Featured
Reigning National Book Award winner James McBride will visit Lawrence on Wednesday, October 22, 7:30 pm at Liberty Hall, as we kick off the first annual Ross and Marianna Beach Author Series. This exciting new program brings nationally-recognized authors to the library thanks to generous grants from The Ross & Marianna Beach Foundation and National Endowment for the Humanities. James McBride’s The Good Lord Bird offers a blend of humor and history. It’s McBride’s latest novel, and is an irreverent and funny fictional account of a young slave who joins John Brown’s abolitionist mission. The book won the 2013 National Book Award for Fiction.
Taking the stage with McBride is the Good Lord Bird Band, a gospel jazz quintet that provides a unique musical backup to the author’s readings from the novel. The evening also will include a special performance by Lawrence’s Ninth Street Baptist Church choir. Together they will provide a memorable and exuberant evening of words and music.
All tickets to the event were distributed on a first come, first served basis. Unfortunately, there are no more tickets available at this time. Doors will open on October 22 at Liberty Hall at 7:00pm, and the program will begin at 7:30pm. Any open seats will be available to the general public without tickets starting at 7:15pm.