Moms, need a night out? We’re back with Mom’s Night Out Part 2. Join us at the Eldridge Hotel on Aug. 5, 7:00pm, for cocktails, friends, and alone time! Popular mom blogger and author of “I Just Want to Pee Alone” will join us, but this time to talk about her new book “I Just Want to Be Alone” – a compilation of 36 women’s hilarious essays on the men in their lives. Bring your ladies, leave the kids with dad, and take a night off!
Calling all artists for the 3rd annual Banned Book Trading Cards! Each year at the Lawrence Public Library, we celebrate the freedom to read by combining art and literature. We’re sending out a Call for Artists asking people in the community to submit their original artwork for any banned or challenged book. Seven winners will be selected to turn into limited edition trading cards, to be given out to the Lawrence community during Banned Books Week (Sept. 21-27). Our 2012 and 2013 trading cards can be purchased here.
1. Open to artists of all ages living in Douglas County.
2. Artwork must be 2D and measure 5″ wide by 7″ high.
3. Submit original artwork only. A brief artist’s statement must also accompany this piece. List the name of the banned/challenged literature and the author that inspired the art. Include a sentence that states the reason for banning along with one to two paragraphs that describe how the work of art relates to the book or author. Please include name, address, phone number, and email address.
4. Artwork must be submitted to the library no later than August 22.
5. Submissions may be dropped off at the welcome desk in the library, mailed, or transmitted digitally via email attached as a PDF.
6. Artwork becomes property of the Lawrence Public Library and will not be returned. The submissions may be used in future promotions, displays, advertising, etc.
Join us at the Douglas County Fair Demolition Derby on Friday, Aug. 1 to see the library’s derby car – The Dewey Decimator! Driven by Shelby and Derby Miller and painted by library teens, this literary themed car is sure to be a hit. Demolition Derby begins at 7:30pm at the Douglas County Fairgrounds. Tickets are $10 at the door.
Visit our new building at 707 Vermont St. to explore reading cubbies and programming space for kids, a great social and activity area for teens, study spaces for all ages, meeting rooms for community gatherings, and improved technology throughout! Stop by any time during our normal business hours:
Monday-Thursday: 9:00am – 9:00pm
Friday: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday: 12:00 – 6:00pm