Together with the Strengthening Families network, we are hosting our first ever BLOCK Fest. This is a day for parents and kids aged 8 months-8 years to come together for a session of playing with blocks, education about child development, and info about how children learn science and math concepts. Four sessions will be held through the day: 9:30 am, 11:30 am, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm, in the Auditorium. No registration is necessary.
Wednesday, September 3 at 3:30 pm, for ages 5 and up. Join the fish experts at Pet World to learn more about our new fish tank! They’ll also bring other animals from Pet World for us to meet, and more. We will meet in the Readers Theater in the Children’s area. Please register at 785-843-3833.
As if there weren’t enough change, we have a new catalog. Many of you have been using it at the Children’s Desks, but pretty much on the run. If you want to check out the new capabilities in a relaxed way before we officially switch over on all catalog stations, give it a trial run at www.lawrence.bibliocommons.com. Favorite features:
- Patrons create a username (won’t have to type your barcode every time you want to place a hold!)
- Ability to make, share, and see other people’s book lists (great vacation reads, mysteries for middle grades, Matilda’s epic reading list, and more)
- Can rate and review titles you like (or dislike!)
- Add books to your shelves: read, in progress, or for later
- See great staff picks
- Better search capabilities (want to find new music? Type “new music”)
- Future mobile app!
- Plus all of the previous features of placing holds, renewing books, paying fines online, and more.
We’d love to hear what you think of the new catalog or if you have any questions!
The wait is over, storytimes are resuming. These are our regularly scheduled storytimes from now through December:
Sundays at 3:30 pm: Stories & Songs for ages 3 & up.
Mondays & Thursdays at 9:30 & 10:30 am: Toddler Storytime for 2 year olds.
Tuesdays & Fridays at 10:30 am, and Thursdays at 7:00 pm: Library Storytime for ages 3 & up.
Wednesdays at 9:30 & 10:30 am: Books & Babies for ages 0 to 23 months
Saturdays in August, 10:30 am, for all ages. Stories and songs highlight a featured language or culture. This month Danish, Arabic, Russian, Turkish, and German! Expose yourself and your children to some of the many cultures that make Lawrence great.
Wednesday, December 11, 3:30 – 4:30 pm, for ages 5 to 17. Who can make the coolest gingerbread (graham cracker) house at Lawrence Public Library? Join us for our 2nd annual Gingerbread House Day! All materials supplied. Register at 785-843-3833.