Saturday, October 4, 1:30- 2:30 pm, and Wednesday October 15 at 3:30 pm, for ages 7-11. Everything is awesome…at LEGO club! We’ll have building challenges, open building time and more, in the Reader’s Theater in the Children’s area. Please register at the children’s desk or call 785-843-3833.
Test out your building skills against the Big Bad Wolf! Wednesday October 1, 3:30 pm, for ages 7-11. He’ll try to huff, puff and you know the rest! Can you build a structure that will withstand him? We meet in the Reader’s Theater in the Children’s area.
Sunday, September 21, at 2:00 pm. We welcome back Jane Johnston, long time children’s librarian at this library! She will read her newly released picture book, Miss Lucy Jane. Books will be available for purchase while the children enjoy a craft, in the Auditorium.
Sunday, September 21 at 1:30-2:30 pm, for 8 to 12 year olds. We’ll be discussing 2010 Newbery Medal winner When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. In the Reader’s Theater in the Children’s area, we’ll have a snack, talk about the book, and more. Please register at 785-843-3833.
The wait is over! Mark your calendars for the Friends of the Lawrence Public Library book sale. The sale will include: adult, young adult, and children’s books; fiction and nonfiction; DVDs and CDs!
Thursday, Sept. 25:
- Friends/Members Only
Friday, Sept. 26:
Saturday, Sept. 27:
The sale will take place on the Kentucky St. side of the library, at 707 Vermont St. Memberships to the Friends will be sold at the door for $10.
GREAT NEWS! Donation days for October have been established and will be open to the community as well as Friends. Please make note of the following days and times for donations of up to 4 bags of books:
- Thursday, October 2: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Thursday, October 9: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Sunday, October 19: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Donations will be accepted at the garage door of the Friends area on the lower level, Kentucky St. side of the library.
The new Bibliocommons catalog will be your default catalog for the library, starting in October. Many of you have been using it at the library, but pretty much on the run. Check out the new capabilities at www.lawrence.bibliocommons.com before we officially switch over: go ahead and sign in. Favorite features:
- Patrons create a username (won’t have to type your barcode every time you want to place a hold!) Parents, your child under 13 is not allowed to create their own username, but Bibliocommons will create one, using color and animal words. But of course you can always just use the familiar library card number, too.
- Ability to make, share, and see other people’s book lists (great vacation reads, mysteries for middle grades, Matilda’s epic reading list, and more)
- Can rate and review titles you like (or dislike!)
- Add books to your shelves: read, in progress, or for later
- See great staff picks
- Better search capabilities (want to find new music? Type “new music”!)
- Future mobile app!
- Plus all of the previous features of placing holds, renewing books, paying fines online, and more.
Wednesday, December 11, 3:30 – 4:30 pm, for ages 5 to 17. Who can make the coolest gingerbread (graham cracker) house at Lawrence Public Library? Join us for our 2nd annual Gingerbread House Day! All materials supplied. Register at 785-843-3833.