Are you a library lover? Want to work at one of the busiest spots in town? If you are 16 years or older, your next job could be at Lawrence Public Library. We accept applications for current positions only and do not maintain a file of previous applications. Applications are available here or at the Checkout Desk. (Please use Adobe Reader if you have problems with the application form.) If you have questions about the application process, please contact Sherri Turner, Assistant Director, at 843-3833, ext 126 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Teen Services Librarian
The Lawrence Public Library opened an expanded state-of-the-art facility in the summer of 2014. Located inside is the Teen Zone, a huge attraction for young Lawrencians as there is no other place in town quite like it. We are searching for a creative, ambitious, and enthusiastic individual with an appetite for all things young adult to help us keep the Teen Zone the destination for Lawrence teens.
Your mission will be to work closely with the Youth Services Coordinator, an awesome part-time staff, and our fantastic Teen Advisory Board to make the library an exciting and welcoming space for all teens. Additionally, you will create and plan programs, feed the minds of Lawrencians with young adult books, partner with local schools and organizations to spread the word of the library and bring in fresh perspectives and programs for Lawrence teenagers, as well as work with the collection development team to keep the teen collection exciting and new.
As the Teen Librarian, we will need you to:
- Truly value working with teens and appreciate all of their originality.
- Be passionate about young adult literature and able to sell books to teens and their adults.
- Create enthusiasm for the library when visiting with students at area schools.
- Be knowledgeable about what today’s teens want and be sensitive to their needs.
- Have a talent for imaginative, inventive, and exciting programming.
- Know how to merchandise and make totally rad book displays and marketing materials for teen programs.
- Be a gamer or know the current trends in video gaming and other technology.
- Know how to write for the web and connect with teens via social media.
- Value customer service for all patrons as well as fellow coworkers.
- Be spontaneous and unafraid to take risks and learn something new.
- Be a champion for the teens of Lawrence.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and Google programs
- Strong customer-service orientation
- Knowledge of young adult literature
- Previous work with tweens/teens
- Library experience
- Familiarity with social media
- Master’s Degree in Library Science, unless you can convince us otherwise (you definitely will need a Bachelor’s degree).
- PC and console video game experience
- Graphic design skills
Lawrence Public Library is located in the heart of downtown Lawrence, Kansas, a quintessential Midwestern college town of 90,000. It is a short drive to Kansas City and all its big city amenities should you need them. If this sounds like the job for you, please consider joining our team at Lawrence Public Library. This position is full-time and requires frequent evening and weekend hours. Salary starts at $39,084 and depends on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits. Preference given to applications received by September 29, 2017. Email an employment application, cover letter, and resume to: Karen Allen, Youth Services Coordinator, email@example.com.
The Lawrence Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Part Time Information Services Assistant
Lawrence Public Library is seeking someone who is passionate about making information accessible to the people of our community. If you love smiling, helping others, and making a difference in people’s lives, this job is for you. The successful candidate will work with the library’s Information Services department, helping people conduct research, connect to community resources, and pursue their lifelong learning goals.
Here’s what we’ll need you to do/be:
- You will staff the public service desk, and help answer the phone.
- You will help people navigate our catalog and databases.
- You will do some shelving, and help us promote the nonfiction collection and other information resources through displays, reviews, and programs.
- You care deeply about great customer service and value the mission of public libraries.
- You love helping people find the answers to their questions (and know that Google isn’t the only place to look!).
- You are curious, creative, and always thinking about new ways to connect people to the information they need.
- You keep tabs on current events in our community.
- You are flexible and can go with the flow.
- You are open to new ideas, new technologies, and new work practices.
- You are a quick study.
- You value teamwork and work well with others.
Some college coursework
Public service experience
Proficiency with common office suite programs
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Proficiency in another language in addition to English
If this sounds like the job for you, please consider joining our team at Lawrence Public Library. This position is 25 hours a week and will require some evening and weekend hours. Wages start at $14.02 an hour. Preference will be given to applications received by September 24, 2017. Email an employment application, resume and cover letter to: Melissa Fisher Isaacs, Information Services Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lawrence Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.