Book Club Hub
Whether you are charged with picking your book club’s next read or you are thinking of starting a book group in your neighborhood, we can help:
- Our Book Club in a Bag service can help make your next book club meeting a whole lot easier! Each bag contains 10-12 copies of a great book club selection plus a reading guide.
- Want one-on-one help planning your book club reads? Lawrence Public Library Book Squad would love to help you with that! For more information about this service, contact the Readers’ Services department via email at email@example.com or call 785-843-3833.
- For lists of good book choices and creative ideas for re-charging your group, check out these books about book clubs.
- There are lots of great websites that can help you pick a good book and find discussion questions. Some of our favorites include Reading Group Guides, Reading Group Choices, and the NoveList database.
- If you’d like updates from the Book Squad on book club news or other bookish information, sign up for our Book Club Hub monthly newsletter!
- If you’re a podcast fan, click here to listen to the Book Squad Podcast!
Would you like to help support the Book Club in a Bag service?
- We happily accept donations of books that your book group has read. If you don’t have ten copies, we’ll gladly take as many as you have as a start for a new bag and add the rest.
- If you’d like to donate funds directly to this program, we have an “Adopt a Bag” option. A contribution of $100 covers the cost of ten copies of a selected book and the tote bag.
The Book Club in a Bag service is made possible through the generous support of the Friends of the Lawrence Public Library and the Lawrence Public Library Foundation.
Use KitKeeper below to find your book club’s next read!
This group is for adults who enjoy young adult fiction or anyone interested in exploring the category. We’ll meet and discuss YA from a variety of genres. Anyone who has read the selection is welcome to come and participate. 12 copies are available from one of our book club in a bag sets. Contact Kimberly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or to reserve a book.
Jan 19 [Special Date]: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta Feb 2: The Young Elites by Marie Lu Mar 2: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- Apr 6: Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older
- May 4: Winger by Andrew Smith
- June 1: Orleans by Sherri L Smith
- July 6: Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
- Aug 3: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- Sept 7: I’ll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
- Oct 5: A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
- Nov 2: Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson
- Dec 7: We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
Third Sundays every other month in Meeting Room A
A Brand New Book Club that looks at a different mystery subgenre at each meeting. Reserve your spot at this discussion (limited number available) and choose a book from our list of recommended titles. We’ll put the book on hold for you. Pick up the book, read it, then join us. We’ll enjoy a lively discussion in which each person will have read a different book. This is a fun opportunity to learn about the diverse authors and characters representative of a mystery subgenre.
Explore a different subgenre of mysteries every other month, upcoming Mystery Book Club dates:
Mar 19: Historical Mysteries
- May 7 (Special Date): International Mysteries
- July 16: Animal Crime Solvers
- Sept 17: Bibliomysteries
- Nov 19: Sisters in Crime Authors
Contact Shirley for more info! email@example.com
Dive into the latest, hottest book club picks with the Last Wednesday Book Club! Selections range from beloved classics to modern book club favorites. Anyone who’s read the book for the current month is invited to participate.
We will meet downstairs in Meeting Room A. Contact Kate for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jan 25: In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez Feb 22: Circling the Sun by Paula McLain
- Mar 29: Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy by Karen Abbott
- Apr 19: *Special Date* Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok
- May 30: The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
- June 28: Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
- July 26: The Bookshop on the Corner by Jennifer Colgan
Third Thursday Book Club | 7 PM
Third Thursday every month at 7 E. 7th!
Brand new club! Read and discuss a new title each month over food and cocktails at 7 East 7th (located above John Brown Underground).
Jan 19: In the Woods by Tana French Feb 16: The Fire This Time by Jesmyn Ward
Mar 16: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- Apr 20: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
- May 18: A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
- June 15: Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart
- July 21: The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
Contact Kate for more details: email@example.com.
Lit Lounge Book Club | 7 PM
Fourth Thursday every month at Decade Coffee!
If you like to get lit—erary, join this new book club for adults that takes place at Decade Coffee & Bar (920 Delaware Street in East Lawrence).
You can raise a pint and your bookish IQ at the same time! We will chat monthly about what we are reading and get new recommendations each time!
Jan 26th Feb 23rd
- Mar 23rd
- Apr 27th
- May 25th
- June 22nd
- July 27th
- August 24th
Contact Kate for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Genre Book Club | 4 PM
Fourth Sundays of every month in Meeting Room A
Want to test out a genre without reading several books? Sign up for our genre book talks! When you sign up for your spot in the book club (limited spots available), you choose from a wide array of books on our reading list and we’ll put the book on hold for you. Pick up the book, read it, then come to the discussion where we’ll talk about the genre as a whole. The purpose is to get to know a genre better by exploring a few of the key works and authors, and a fun way to get some book recommendations from other readers! Contact Polli at email@example.com if you have questions or to reserve a book.
Jan 22: True Crime Feb 26: Read Across Lawrence discussion - In the Time of Butterflies
- Mar 26: Bildungsroman/Coming-of-Age
- Apr 23: Westerns