2017 Local Election Information
Three Lawrence City Commission seats and three USD 497 School Board seats are up for election this year. Due to the number of candidates who have filed for the City Commission seats, a primary election to narrow the field for that race will be held on August 1st. A general election for both the City Commission and School Board races will be held on November 7th.
Important Dates: City and School Board Elections
- June 1, 2017: Last day for candidates to file at Douglas County Clerk’s Office
- July 11, 2017: Last day to register to vote in Primary Election
- July 12, 2017: Advance voting begins for Primary Election
- August 1, 2017: Primary Election
- October 17, 2017: Last day to register for General Election
- October 18, 2017: Advance voting begins for General Election
- October 31, 2017: Last day to request an Advance Ballot be mailed
- November 7, 2017: General Election
The Douglas County Clerk’s Office is responsible for overseeing all national, state and local elections conducted in Douglas County.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 785-832-5167
Getting Registered to Vote: State and Local Elections
- Registering in Douglas County to vote in State and Local Elections
- 2017 Election Calendar
- Advance Voting in Douglas County
- Check your voter registration status
- Vote Kansas: A guide to voter registration in Kansas from the Kansas Secretary of State’s Office.
- Kansas Election Calendar
Finding Your Polling Place
Researching Candidates and Issues
Looking for reliable information on political candidates and issues? Want to know who is running for office? Try these resources!
- Election results for the August primary.
- Sample Ballots for November General Election: Preview the ballot for your voting precinct.
- League of Women Voters of Lawrence-Douglas County: The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization that supports voter education and issue advocacy.
- The Lawrence Journal-World has run a series of profiles on the candidates for Lawrence City Commission.
- The Lawrence Journal-World has also written profiles of the USD 497 School Board candidates:
- James Hollinger
- Ronald “G.R.” Gordon-Ross
- Melissa Johnson
- Kelly Jones
- Gretchen Lister
- (While Jill Hayhurst and Steve Wallace will be listed on the ballot in November, both dropped out of the race in September.)